Thursday, March 29, 2012

Good-bye Sweet Princesses


I remember when I found you.  Randomly thrown about on top of a clothes aisle with all of the other unwanted toys.  Just a leg sticking through other miscellaneous plastic toys, and ragged baby dolls with their hair all cut off.  I pulled you out, I saved  you.  Then I thought, if there is one, maybe, just maybe two? I was a frenzied momma animal looking for her young...and one by one I found you for a total of eight.  Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, Aurora, Belle, Jasmine, Wendy (peter pan) and last but not least I found the ever lovely Pocahontas!  Seven beautiful princess dolls my daughter would adore!  Oh, we loved our princesses.  Everything about the idea of being a princess...we love, frills, and lace.  Dress up with tutus and gloves. Wands and tiara's!  We didn't have to watch the movies...who had the patience to sit and actually watch movies?  Not my Moo!  We love PLAY!

When I got you all home I was so excited I could barely stand it. Waiting for the time my girl would come home and squeal with delight over these lovelies!  I pick my Maddie up from school, tell her of a surprise when we get home.  She is getting anxious.  I'm extremely giddy.  We get home, she finally gets in to see them...and... who the hell cares.  You would think I would have gotten a small little jump of glee.  I got a "thank you" with a smile.  She kinda played with them and ran outside.  It was a non-event.  

That's the thing about moms.  We fall for the hype.  We are easily excited about "girly" things.  Loving the princesses is a given, right?  Its not my girls fault that she could care less about a bunch of princesses.  The only Disney movie she ever really watched was Tinker Bell.  So why would she care about these dolls?  She likes the idea of princesses, she knows them because of her friends.  But give her a polly pocket or random stuffed animal and she is in heaven.

Non-events like this, is why I love thrifting.  If I would have spent $19.50 a piece on these things I would have cried.  Since I spent next to nothing, it only hurt my pride and not my pocket book. Now, I get to resell them at a Kids Closet Connection  sale.  They are similar to your church resales.  I've done both sales in the past.  This year, this is the one who caught my attention first.  So it's time to purge all my non-event toys and clothes that my boy has worn once and out grew, and clothes Maddie has finally out grown.  

Farewell Sweet Princesses!

4 comments:

Michele Ball said...

That's what I love about consignment, Kathy! Moms/grandmas can splurge on something that costs 1/3 of what you would pay in the store. Then when your kids are done wearing it or playing w it, you can consign/sell it and with the $ you make, you can buy what your kids want this year/season. For example, this week at the local Kid's Closet sale, I sold my son's baseball pants that were too small and bought him a pair that fits for the same price! :)

Unknown said...

I love that! You got a pair of size 3 baseball cleats?! We are done with soccer, and now going on to baseball for my boy.

It is fun, my kids have a wide variety of toys, thanks to thrifting!

Laurie said...

Awww, bummer :( Hopefully you'll make the money back at the sale. Another good thing about thrifted toys and books. If they break it or chew it to death, no biggie! My daughter chewed on a copy of Olivia like she was a little beaver! Because it was only 50 cents I was able to laugh at it :)

Unknown said...

Laurie..that is so true! I'm gathering pictures about all the destruction I have...and I'm ok about it because it didn't cost me an arm and leg. Don't get me wrong, my kids know how to be respectful to their toys/clothes, but sometimes spills, and dogs happen!